April 29, 2010

Finals. Oh, and everything else too.

So, here I sit in the midst of the busiest few weeks I've ever experienced in college. Finals are approaching next week; this week is called "Dead Week," since everything is supposed to be quiet, full of study, etc. Wrong. I have had projects, papers, and a final exam this week, along with finishing up photos and video that I shot for my Little 500 internship, and starting training for a new job. 


Yes, I have a new job. No more dealing with beginning photography students leaving trays of chemicals on the floor of the darkroom! Lab monitor Danielle is gone. I am now working at the Indiana Daily Student  (IDS) newspaper, doing mainly ad design and also working on larger projects and campaigns. I've only had 2 days of training so far, but I can tell that I will have a great time working there.


The worst of my finals are mostly over. I only have one exam left (although it is huge), and the rest of my work consists of a design project and multiple final book projects for my book structures class. It's possible that I will be up until 4am making books every night this weekend, but I truly don't mind doing it. I just hope that I don't end up with a mediocre project since these are somewhat last minute.


I'm really excited about the first project I have planned for the summer, which is to photograph all of my projects that aren't already in some digital form. This includes all of the books I have made/will make this semester, of which there are 10 or more. I feel like I haven't photographed anything for myself in a very, very long time, so this will be a nice bit of artistic therapy. I do have a full list of summer goals written out already, and I'm eager to start them all! They mostly revolve around design, revamping my website, making books, etc., but I also plan to go through clothes and everything else I own, looking for donations for Goodwill. There is definitely too much clutter in my life...which is probably the reason for my personal preference for minimalist design. See, that psychology minor didn't go to waste.


18. Stay up late.
Strange things happen when you’ve gone too far, been up too long, worked too hard, and you're separated from the rest of the world.
(From the Incomplete Manifesto for Growth, by Bruce Mau)

No comments:

Post a Comment